This was announced by the Dutch-led international investigation team at a news briefing on the results of the investigation on Wednesday, Censor.NET reports citing Independent.
Video of the news briefing via RT
Rebels were responsible for shooting down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over Ukraine and killing all 298 people on board, international prosecutors have found.
A report by the Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team (JIT) confirmed the missile that downed the plane was brought in from Russia and fired from rebel-controlled territory, during the conflict in eastern Ukraine.
Wilbert Paulissen, head of the Dutch Central Crime Investigation Department, played a press conference intercepted phone conversations between rebel fighters discussing the arrival of a Buk missile system.
"It may be concluded MH17 was shot down by a 9M38 missile launched by a Buk, brought in from the territory of the Russian Federation, and that after launch was subsequently returned to the Russian Federation," he added.
"The conclusion is that MH17 was shot down by a Buk missile launched from a site around 6km south of the village of Snizhne."
exclusive photos of the hangar and the submunitions of Russian missile Buk-M1-2, featured in the criminal investigation. Prosecutor's Offices of the Netherlands and Australia have prepared convincing evidence. It was established that submunitions that hit the Boeing exactly match those from the warhead of the latest Russian anti-aircraft missile Buk-M1-2. The system was developed in 1997, put into service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in 1998, and was never delivered to Ukraine. In addition, independent experts from Germany, England and Poland studied the fragments of the debris and concluded they were part of a Russian Buk missile. Modern chemical analysis has identified the composition of the metal and found parts of the glass and skin of the same downed Boeing that had been cut by these elements prior to hitting the people.
In November 2015, President Poroshenko visited the Netherlands and said that Ukraine was employing its membership in the UN Security Council for investigation of the MH17 tragedy.
In May 2016, Australian law firm LHD filed a lawsuit against Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin to the European Court for Human Rights on behalf of relatives of those killed in the Malaysian Boeing MH17. The lawsuit names Putin as accused defendant and demands $10 million for each killed passenger.
On July 17, 2016 President Poroshenko said that Russia was the only country inhibiting the investigation into the MH-17 crash.
"Russia, abusing the right of veto, blocked the decision of the UN Security Council to establish the International Tribunal to investigate the downing of MH17, which is an indirect and logical proof of its involvement in the crime. In spite of this, we and our partners are working and doing everything necessary to ensure accountability of all those behind this tragedy," the head of state remarked.
Related materials: Russian terrorists downed MH17
"Russian Buk is the only credible candidate": Bellingcat publishes summarizing report on MH17 crash. PHOTOS(0)
Poroshenko paid tribute to MH17 victims: "A daring crime that would not have happened, if not for Russia's aggression"(0)
Russia's lawyer in ICJ: Buk launcher was intended to repel armed strikes by Ukraine's military aircraft(0)