1. If Ukraine itself held a referendum titled "Does life in Ukraine correspond to European values?," the results would be even weaker than those in the Netherlands. So our problems are not there.
2. The fact that we need integration with the EU does not mean that they need Ukraine. If referendums with similar questions were held in other countries of the EU, unfortunately, we would have had more unpleasant surprises.
3. We have closed our economy with corruptive political barriers and rules, and the lack of economic ties prevents political, social, and cultural ties from development. Capital is flowing away from Ukraine, so should we be hoping that foreign integration will develop for us abroad? Politics is the build-up, economy is the basis. There are no results in the basis, so we should have no hopes for changes of political nature.
4. Ukrainian society is very tolerant towards corruption within political leadership, very tolerant towards regular deception of voters and violation of their obligations by politicians, towards lack and non-fulfillment of economy modernization programs, and towards absence of reforms in the state. Political leadership, accordingly, does not believe that the country needs European values and continues to rule in Asian style and reckon upon grafting of poor people.
5. Ukraine has received a huge support from the Dutch people; we have to say "thank you" to all those who spent their time and cast their votes in our support. It's just that no PR is able to replace real motivation.
6. All failures of the European integration are a responsibility of political leadership, the president in first place, as well as the government and the parliament of Ukraine. We have to admit it honestly and eventually, in order to make clear conclusions. The ratings are low; they could not get any lower, so let's work in a systematic way. We need a program of state development; we need projects that provide real European integration.
7. The main lesson of the Netherlands referendum is how the state of the Netherlands respects its citizens. How it takes purchase on the society even with foreign policy issues. The society praises this attention and takes active part in the life of the state. This is the most valued lesson for our political leaders: if you want to enjoy support of the majority of citizens, make them participate in the process of making state decisions, trust them, and take purchase on the civil society. As long as this notion is not accepted by those who are trusted to govern in Ukraine by voters and taxpayers, we will remain remote, opaque, and not accepted in Europe.
Yurii Butusov, Censor.NET
Related materials: Referendum in the Netherlands
UNITED STATES ARMY EUROPE COMMANDER BEN HODGES: THREE PRIORITIES FOR ARMY REFORM ARE COMBAT TRAINING, CRITICAL SELF-ANALYSIS OF OPERATIONS, AND SERGEANT CORPS(0)
IN MEMORY OF MAKSYM SHAPOVAL. WHY RUSSIAN SECRET SERVICES WERE HUNTING FOR INTELLIGENCE SPETSNAZ COMMANDER?(0)