December 16 will see Enakiyevo mayor elections. The reason why the new elections has been assigned an election was the death of Mayor Serhiy Rukhadze who died in August after suffering a stroke. Despite the fact that their result will be of exclusively regional importance, the elections could still draw some attention to them. In October, during a visit to his birthplace President Viktor Yanukovych publicly named a prospective candidate for the post of the new mayor of Yenakiyevo Valeriy Oliynik. The rest, as they say, think for yourself. In response to a journalist Denis Kazan, who is also a known blogger frankensstein, says he intends to run for mayor of Enakievo. "Since I cannot be independent I was nominated by Udar party, even though I myself remain nonpartisan," said Kazanskyy. In the end, the territorial election commission of Yenakievo rejected his registration motivating the decision that nomination procedures were allegedly violated. Censor.NET contacted Denis Kazanskyy for comment.
- Why did you decide to compete for the post of Yenakiнevo mayor?
- For two reasons. First, I hoped to convey to people the truth about how they are lied to and robbed by Donetsk officials under the guise of a common origin. Secondly, I wanted to show the whole country that the elections in Yenakiyevo are a circus and fiction. Yanukovych publicly appointed mayor Valeriy Oliynyk two months before the elections. This is a mockery of the law and common sense. Candidate status would make my criticism louder and give it weight.
- It is known that the election commission refused to register you. Party of Regions saw a real competitor in you?
- I believe they did not see an opponent but a dangerous member of a process that will not be shy in words and will expose the dirty underside of Yenakiyevo elections. It is clear that the Oliynyk's victory has already been decided. But it is possible to take the post quietly, without scandal. Or you can become a national disgrace for the whole country to see. I was not allowed to make sure I do not create too much noise and not draw attention to these fraudulent elections.
- How would you describe the last parliamentary elections in Donbas? Why did you not take part in them?
- Parliamentary elections were very dirty. In some places they were openly rigged, I personally recorded on video thrown in ballots but in spite of numerous protests, not a single district had a vote re-count. I think that the real result of the Party of Regions in the oblast Is around 40 percent.
I did not participate because I thought that the opposition parties would put up strong candidates and I did not want to become their competition. Unfortunately, in reality, most of the candidates were frankly weak and practically did not campaign in their districts.
- Was It a one-time "march" into politics or are you planning to participate in other elections?
- I do not know. If it will be interesting - why not?
- Tell us what is the people's attitude towards the Party of Regions and the opposition in Donbas?
- They scold the ruling party but the majority does not understand the opposition at all. In my opinion, this is due to the fact that the opposition has no serious speakers in the oblast. Opposition leaders are perceived as outsiders, and the opposition itself as a force that represents the interests of other oblasts of Ukraine.
Volodymyr Dymchenko, Censor.NET