Video courtesy of Defense Ministry-run TV channel
74 pieces of explosive ordnance and ammunition fragments were found and disposed of.
The following measures were taken to prevent accidents in the city and nearby villages:
- Gas supply to Balakliia was cut off;
- Operation of 29 potentially hazardous facilities, 13 filling stations and several other facilities was suspended;
- The movement of trains and vehicular transport through Balakliia was suspended;
- The airspace was closed within a radius of 40 km from the scene;
- 14 checkpoints were set up to redirect transport to alternative routes.
1,435 personnel and 226 units of equipment are engaged in the operation to eliminate the consequences of the emergency situation.
Images courtesy of State Emergency Service
As reported, March 23, 2017, an emergency arose at the military ammunition depot of the Defense Ministry at Balakliia, the Kharkiv region, due to explosions of ammunition. Several storage areas of rocket and cannon artillery ordnance (tank and artillery missiles of 125 mm and 152 mm caliber) were impacted by explosion and caught fire, which caused the detonation of the ammunition. Residents of the nearby areas have been evacuated.
Chief Military Prosecutor Anatolii Matios said the emergency in Balakliia was an act of sabotage.
Later, a video of the explosion at Balakliia ammunition depot was published online.