EN|RU|UK
 Incidents
  7913

 Poroshenko: no one showed up to dispute court ruling to seize $1.5B from Yanukovych

President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko held a meeting with Finance Minister Oleksandr Danyliuk and National Bank Head Valeria Hontareva.

The president stressed that transfer of $1.1 billion to the accounts of the State Treasury was completed today in compliance with the court ruling that had recently entered into force, Censor.NET reports citing the presidential press office.

"By the way, I'd like to tell that no complaints have been filed against this decision so far while the so-called 'owners' who claimed their rights for this money have never shown up," the head of state said adding that justice in this issue was restored thanks to decisive actions of law enforcement agencies and the court ruling.

See more: Funds seized from Yanukovych and his cronies transferred to State Treasury, - Prosecutor General Lutsenko. PHOTO

The president stressed that besides $1.1 billion transferred to the State Treasury an additional $200 million in securities would be handed over to the Finance Ministry while the country's internal debt will be accordingly reduced pursuant to the Ukrainian legislation.

"This does not just increase opportunities of the Ukrainian budget to restore justice and invest these funds in the Ukrainian Army, strengthen our country's defense capability and restore social justice by spending these funds on most vulnerable groups. These funds will also replenish the country's gold and foreign currency reserves," Poroshenko stressed.

Read more: Ukraine may now seek return of Yanukovych's funds from Latvia, - PGO

According to the president, Ukraine's foreign exchange reserves will amount to $18.4 billion after the funds are transferred. He recalled that this figure was less than $5 billion in 2015 while gold and foreign exchange reserves have grew by almost $13.5 billion ever since.

"This strengthens the financial and banking system, makes national currency more stable. This will also contribute to investment potential of the Ukrainian economy," the head of state said.

Poroshenko noted that this case was dismissed but further trials should be expected: "We anticipate more court rulings returning the money stolen from the Ukrainian people to the state treasury."

Read more: Ukraine to see unprecedented trial on May 4, - Prosecutor General Lutsenko on Yanukovych case

Earlier, The court decision on the confiscation of $1.5 billion in Oschadbank accounts of Ukrainian ex-President Viktor Yanukovych and his cronies in favor of the Ukrainian state budget took effect April 28. President Poroshenko noted that this money should not be "poured down the throat," but spent for the Army and welfare system. He also said that more funds kept on the accounts of ex-officials will be attached. The lawyers of the fugitive president deny the very existence of these funds.
 
 
 
 up