EN|RU|UK
  5692

 ISIS claims Paris shooting, - Reuters

The Islamic State militant group claimed the attack on Paris policemen on April 20.

Censor.NET reports citing Reuters.

The Islamic State group, which is being driven out of its areas of territorial control in Iraq and Syria by Western-backed coalitions and has hundreds of French-speaking fighters, claimed responsibility for Thursday's shooting via its Amaq news agency, naming the attacker as Abu Yousif al-Belgiki.

The claim came quickly and the naming of the assailant suggested a degree of direct contact with Islamic State. The group also claimed responsibility for a car attack in London last month killing four, but gave no name or details.

Read more: IS claims responsibility for attack on Russian Guards in Chechnya

Police sources said the man was known to intelligence services. French television networks reported that he was a 39-year-old French national known for previous violent crimes.

As reported earlier, an unknown gunman opened fire on a police patrol in central Paris on the evening of April 20. As a result, one police officer was shot dead, the second got wounded.

President Hollande said the shooting was a 'terrorist attack.'
 
 
 
 up