EN|RU|UK
 World, Incidents
  9000
Related materials:

 Trump bans citizens from six Muslim-majority nations from traveling to US

U.S. President Donald Trump banned citizens from six Muslim-majority nations from traveling to the United States after his controversial first attempt was blocked in the courts.

As reported by Censor.NET citing Reuters, the new order, which takes effect on March 16, keeps a 90-day ban on travel to the United States by citizens of Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.

Iraq was taken off the banned list because the Iraqi government has imposed new vetting procedures, such as heightened visa screening and data sharing, and because of its work with the United States in countering Islamic State militants, a senior White House official said.

The order applies only to new visa applicants, meaning some 60,000 people whose visas were revoked under the previous order will now be permitted to enter.

See more: New Der Spiegel cover mocks Trump's connections with Putin. PHOTO

Trump, who first proposed a temporary travel ban on Muslims during his presidential campaign last year, had said his original Jan. 27 executive order was a national security measure meant to head off attacks by Islamist militants.

Immigration advocates said the new ban still discriminated against Muslims and failed to address some of their key concerns with the previous order. Legal experts said it would, however, be harder to challenge because it affects fewer people living in the United States and allows more exemptions to protect them.

The original order barred travelers from the seven nations from entering for 90 days and all refugees for 120 days. Refugees from Syria were to be banned indefinitely but under the new order they are not given separate treatment.

Read more: US attorney general on talk with Russia envoy: "Somehow the subject of Ukraine came up"
 
 
 
 up