Repairers have cordoned off the area surrounding the collapsed part of the bridge. Plastic barriers have also been put up along both sides of the overpass, narrowing it by about two meters and leaving one and a half traffic lanes in each direction instead of two.
According the the mayor's press service, a number of measures should be carried out for further temporary use of the overpass. In particular, the carriageway should be narrowed by 0.7 meters on both sides; the pavement area of the bridge should be inspected each day for possible cracks and tilts; the movement of pedestrians and vehicles under the overpass should be limited.
Vitalii Klitschko, Kyiv's mayor, said the works to reinforce the bridge had already begun. He stressed that heavy transport would be barred from moving via the overpass.
Klitschko has also ordered inspection of all Kyiv's old overpasses and bridges to determine their technical condition and decide on their repair and further use.
"Last night, I ordered that all kiosks located near transport infrastructure facilities be checked and illegal structures removed," Klitschko said.
According to him, all kiosks located under bridges, close to transport infrastructure facilities and in underground passages must be dismantled.
"They pose a potential threat," the mayor said.
On the evening of Feb. 27, part of Kyiv's Shuliavskyi overpass collapsed. One car was damaged. No casualties were reported.
The city authorities say the collapse occurred due to metal corrosion caused by excess load. The last examination of bridge's technical condition was carried out in 2012.