As reported by Censor.NET, General Staff deputy spokesperson Vladyslav Voloshyn said it on air of 112 Ukraine TV channel.
"The night was disturbing. By 7 a.m., nine bombardments had been recorded in the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) area, six of them in the Svitlodarsk salient. The information about militants' attempts to again storm our positions is being clarified," Voloshyn said.
According to him, overall 19 attacks were registered over past day, most of them in the Svitlodarsk area.
"The situation there remains difficult. In general, 19 bombardments were recorded in the ATO zone yesterday, most of them in the Svitlodarsk salient. Backed by mortar and artillery fire, militants tried to storm our positions twice. Last night, at 10 p.m., they intensified shelling," the General Staff representative explained.
He added there were casualties among the Ukrainian military, without providing any details.
"Unfortunately, there are casualties among the Ukrainian military. A Ministry of Defense representative on ATO matters will communicate details in a while. Militants are said to have used 152 mm artillery against civilian settlements for the first time in a long time. Three such attacks are reported: two of them in the morning and one, on Myronivske town, in the afternoon," he said.
On Dec. 18, five Ukrainian soldiers died in fighting that broke out at the Svitlodarsk salient as militants tried to break through Ukrainian defenses in the area. Later on, National Security and Defense Council Secretary Oleksandr Turchynov said the Ukrainian military counterattacked and took new positions.
On Dec. 21, the representatives in the Trilateral Contact Group on the Donbas confirmed their intention to cease fire at midnight, Dec. 24, OSCE Special Representative in Ukraine and to the Trilateral Contact Group Martin Sajdik said.