EN|RU|UK
  1606

 Italian Premier Renzi officially quits as voters express disapproval of reforms

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi officially stepped down on Wednesday evening, Dec. 7.

According to a statement from the President Mattarella's office, Renzi will stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new government can be put in place, Censor.NET reports citing Deutsche Welle.

See more: "They support Putin": map of pro-Russian parties in Europe. PHOTO

Presidential aide Ugo Zampetti told reporters that Mattarella would start consultations on Thursday with various party leaders to see where support lies for a new government. The talks are expected to end on Saturday afternoon.

Renzi initially said he would step down immediately following last weekend's referendum in which Italians rejected his proposed constitutional changes. After nearly 60 percent of voters cast "no" ballots, he told the nation that his government was finished.

Watch more: "I'm here because I want to stop the aggressor furthest from my Europe," - Italian volunteer in Donbas. VIDEO

At the request of Mattarella, Renzi stayed on until parliament approved Italy's 2017 budget - which passed earlier on Wednesday.
 
 
 
 up