EN|RU|UK
  1811

 Further troop withdrawal in Donbas hardly possible over non-stop fire, - Mariupol sector representative Markovskyi

Constant attacks by pro-Russian militants make the previously agreed disengagement of forces in eastern Ukraine hardly possible.

Head of the Center for Civil-Military Cooperation in the Mariupol sector, Col. Anatolii Markovskyi said at a press briefing, Censor.NET reports citing Ukrinform.

"Russian-terrorist troops committed more than 29 cease-fire violations over the past day, including 20 cases in Mariupol area. They used artillery, mortars, small arms against all the settlements falling within our area of responsibility. Therefore, the implementation of the Minsk agreements is not possible for the time being," he said.

"As you know, the truce must last for at least seven days. This won't happen. A number of settlements, such as Vodiane, have been destroyed by Russian-terrorist forces. Any troop withdrawal is impossible now," Markovskyi said.

Read more: Poroshenko on Donbas special status: prerequisite is very simple - free and fair local elections

"I'd like to address civilians and tell them the information war is underway. The media report surrender of our positions. This is not true. We are holding the line, our military and other armed groups are holding the line. Nobody has yielded a centimeter, no one will surrender their native land," the colonel noted.

A framework agreement on disengagement of troops and hardware was signed in Minsk on Sept. 21.

As stipulated by the document, the OSCE SMM performs permanent monitoring and verification of disengagement of troops and hardware in agreed areas. Stanytsia Luhanska and Zolote in the Luhansk region and Petrivske in the Donetsk region are the first three settlements where the disengagement is to take place.

See more: ATO Staff shows aftermath of deliberate terrorists' strikes on Marinka's residential neighborhoods. PHOTOS
 
 
 
 up