EN|RU|UK
 Incidents
  12148

 JIT findings corroborate Secretary Kerry’s statement in days following MH17 downing, Assistant Secretary Kirby says

The United States welcomes the interim report of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) on the shoot down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 and calls on other states that are in a position to assist to cooperate fully so those responsible are held accountable.

Censor.NET reports citing the press statement by Assistant Secretary and U.S. Department of State Spokesperson John Kirby of Sept. 28, 2016.

The statement reads: "The United States welcomes the interim report of the Joint Investigation Team on the shoot down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17.

Watch more: Buk missile that downed MH17 came to Donbas from Russia, - JIT. VIDEO

"The Team's interim findings corroborate Secretary Kerry's statement in the days following the tragedy that MH17 was shot down by a BUK surface-to-air missile fired from Russian-backed, separatist-controlled territory in eastern Ukraine.

"The Team found also that the BUK launcher was transported from Russia to separatist-controlled territory in Ukraine before the incident, and returned to Russia after the launcher was used to shoot down MH17.

Read more: "Confirmation of what we already knew," - McCain on MH17 probe findings

"While nothing can take away the grief of those who lost loved ones on that tragic day, this announcement is another step toward bringing to justice those responsible for this outrageous attack.

"The United States will continue to work with the Joint Investigation Team in its investigation. We call on other states that are in a position to assist to cooperate fully so those responsible are held accountable," John Kirby said

Read more: "Since there are no private Buks, the Russian Federation has responsibility in MH17," - MEP Harms on JIT report

Earlier inquiry by the Dutch Safety Board concluded a missile fired by a sophisticated Buk surface-to-air system struck the Malaysia Airlines aircraft as it flew from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014. The missile exploded next to the cockpit. All 298 people on board were killed.

Censor.NET has been reporting about the investigation of the crash investigation progress and published exclusive photos of the hangar and the submunitions of Russian missile Buk-M1-2, featured in the criminal investigation. Prosecutor's Offices of the Netherlands and Australia have prepared convincing evidence. It was established that submunitions that hit the Boeing exactly match those from the warhead of the latest Russian anti-aircraft missile Buk-M1-2. The system was developed in 1997, put into service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in 1998, and was never delivered to Ukraine. In addition, independent experts from Germany, England and Poland studied the fragments of the debris and concluded they were part of a Russian Buk missile. Modern chemical analysis has identified the composition of the metal and found parts of the glass and skin of the same downed Boeing that had been cut by these elements prior to hitting the people.

Read more: Hundred potential suspects in MH17 downing identified by international investigators, - Westerbeke

In November 2015, President Poroshenko visited the Netherlands and said that Ukraine was employing its membership in the UN Security Council for investigation of the MH17 tragedy.

In May 2016, Australian law firm LHD filed a lawsuit against Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin to the European Court for Human Rights on behalf of relatives of those killed in the Malaysian Boeing MH17. The lawsuit names Putin as accused defendant and demands $10 million for each killed passenger.

On July 17, 2016 President Poroshenko said that Russia was the only country inhibiting the investigation into the MH-17 crash.

"Russia, abusing the right of veto, blocked the decision of the UN Security Council to establish the International Tribunal to investigate the downing of MH17, which is an indirect and logical proof of its involvement in the crime. In spite of this, we and our partners are working and doing everything necessary to ensure accountability of all those behind this tragedy," the head of state remarked.


 
 
 
 up