As reported by Censor.NET citing the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf via Radio Svoboda, the launches were executed in order to determine what weapon was used to bring the passenger jet down.
According to the newspaper's sources close to the investigation, the test results showed that the aircraft was shot down by the Russian Buk, not Ukrainian as claimed by Moscow.
Read more: International experts likely to confirm Buk missile was fired from separatist-held Ukraine and its launcher smuggled back to Russia, - The Guardian
The location and time of the test launches wewe not specified. As reported by Yle, the STT news agency earlier reported about covert tests conducted in Finland.
According to the newspaper's sources, the prosecutorial strategy is gradually changing. The legal prosecution of the suspects will be possible only following the release of the final report of the joint investigative team, which includes representatives of the Netherlands, Belgium, Australia, Ukraine, Malaysia and Eurojust (the European Union's Judicial Cooperation Unit).
Earlier inquiry by the Dutch Safety Board concluded a missile fired by a sophisticated Buk surface-to-air system struck the Malaysia Airlines aircraft as it flew from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014. The missile exploded next to the cockpit. All 298 people on board were killed.
exclusive photos of the hangar and the submunitions of Russian missile Buk-M1-2, featured in the criminal investigation. Prosecutor's Offices of the Netherlands and Australia have prepared convincing evidence. It was established that submunitions that hit the Boeing exactly match those from the warhead of the latest Russian anti-aircraft missile Buk-M1-2. The system was developed in 1997, put into service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in 1998, and was never delivered to Ukraine. In addition, independent experts from Germany, England and Poland studied the fragments of the debris and concluded they were part of a Russian Buk missile. Modern chemical analysis has identified the composition of the metal and found parts of the glass and skin of the same downed Boeing that had been cut by these elements prior to hitting the people.
In November 2015, President Poroshenko visited the Netherlands and said that Ukraine was employing its membership in the UN Security Council for investigation of the MH17 tragedy.
In May 2016, Australian law firm LHD filed a lawsuit against Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin to the European Court for Human Rights on behalf of relatives of those killed in the Malaysian Boeing MH17. The lawsuit names Putin as accused defendant and demands $10 million for each killed passenger.
On July 17, 2016 President Poroshenko said that Russia was the only country inhibiting the investigation into the MH-17 crash.
"Russia, abusing the right of veto, blocked the decision of the UN Security Council to establish the International Tribunal to investigate the downing of MH17, which is an indirect and logical proof of its involvement in the crime. In spite of this, we and our partners are working and doing everything necessary to ensure accountability of all those behind this tragedy," the head of state remarked.
Related materials: Russian terrorists downed MH17
"Russian Buk is the only credible candidate": Bellingcat publishes summarizing report on MH17 crash. PHOTOS(0)