Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin made such a statement at a meeting of the UN Security Council on Thursday, Censor.NET reports citing Ukrinform.
"The last year's efforts to establish an international tribunal to prosecute those responsible (for MH17 downing - Ed.) were disrupted in this very hall as they were vetoed by a permanent member. I am confident that such a court would have become our most efficient tool to address this atrocity," the minister said.
He stressed that Kyiv continued cooperating with other partner states within the joint investigation team (JIT) to create a mechanism for holding those guilty of this crime accountable.
"This atrocity is a potent reminder of the seriousness of the threat posed to civil aviation by terrorist groups armed with sophisticated weapons. In this regard, I stressed the need for full implementation of resolution 2166 (of 2014), in particular in the context of the Security Council's demands to bring to justice those responsible in this incident, and make every effort to establish the liability," Pavlo Klimkin emphasized.
In response, Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the UN Vitaly Churkin called the statement of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry a "provocation." He claimed that Moscow cast doubt on the objectivity of the inquiry into the Malaysian airliner crash calling Kyiv "to plead guilty" that it had not closed the airspace over the conflict zone.
The Thursday's meeting of the UN Security Council was devoted to the issue of the terrorist threat to the civil aviation.
exclusive photos of the hangar and the submunitions of Russian missile Buk-M1-2, featured in the criminal investigation. Prosecutor's Offices of the Netherlands and Australia have prepared convincing evidence. It was established that submunitions that hit the Boeing exactly match those from the warhead of the latest Russian anti-aircraft missile Buk-M1-2. The system was developed in 1997, put into service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in 1998, and was never delivered to Ukraine. In addition, independent experts from Germany, England and Poland studied the fragments of the debris and concluded they were part of a Russian Buk missile. Modern chemical analysis has identified the composition of the metal and found parts of the glass and skin of the same downed Boeing that had been cut by these elements prior to hitting the people.
In November 2015, President Poroshenko visited the Netherlands and said that Ukraine was employing its membership in the UN Security Council for investigation of the MH17 tragedy.
In May 2016, Australian law firm LHD filed a lawsuit against Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin to the European Court for Human Rights on behalf of relatives of those killed in the Malaysian Boeing MH17. The lawsuit names Putin as accused defendant and demands $10 million for each killed passenger.
On July 17, 2016 President Poroshenko said that Russia was the only country inhibiting the investigation into the MH-17 crash.
"Russia, abusing the right of veto, blocked the decision of the UN Security Council to establish the International Tribunal to investigate the downing of MH17, which is an indirect and logical proof of its involvement in the crime. In spite of this, we and our partners are working and doing everything necessary to ensure accountability of all those behind this tragedy," the head of state remarked.
Related materials: Russian terrorists downed MH17
Truth is not negotiable, - MH17 prosecutor on possible sanctions ease in exchange for aid with investigation(0)