EN|RU|UK
  1684

 Framework decision on Donbas a new instrument to calm situation along contact line, - Steinmeier on disengagement agreement

Acting Chairman-in-Office of OSCE, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has stated that the framework decision on disengagement of forces and hardware in three areas along the front line in the east of Ukraine requires the willingness of the parties.

Censor.NET reports citing OSCE.

"After many months of stagnation, efforts have finally been gaining momentum since last week," Steinmeier said in New York on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.

Read more: 13 days for disengagement in Donbas, OSCE to monitor 24/7, - Ukraine's negotiator Marchuk on Minsk talks outcomes

"Months of hard work behind the scenes will hopefully now bear fruit. We have had to learn that neither declarations of goodwill nor commitments to withdraw arms have been sufficient to ensure that weapons turn and remain silent.

"The framework decision is a new instrument to calm the situation along the line of contact.

"Initially, disengagement is to be implemented immediately in three hotspots. More locations must rapidly follow, so that disengagement can be ensured along the entire line of contact. A sustained cease-fire alone will not ensure implementation of the Minsk agreements, but without silent weapons along the line of contact, we will not make any political headway.

"Currently, there are no guarantees. Without willingness by the sides to adhere to previously-made agreements, there will also be no progress at this time," Steinmeier said.

Earlier, the parties to the Trilateral contact group agreed on Sept. 21 in Minsk on troops and hardware withdrawal in three security areas of Stanytsia Luhanska, Zolote and Petrivske in the Donbas


 
 
 
 up