EN|RU|UK
  2512

 Kyiv calls for halting hostilities in Donbas on eve of Sept. 1

Iryna Herashchenko says an unconditional cessation of attacks is necessary in Ukraine's east to ensure the safety of local children.

Ukraine calls for reaching a cease-fire in the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) area in the Donbas prior to Sept. 1. This was stated by Ukraine's representative in the humanitarian subgroup of the Trilateral Contact Group, Verkhovna Rada First Deputy Speaker Iryna Herashchenko, Censor.NET reports citing BELTA.

This initiative is offered by Kyiv today at the meetings of all subgroups in Minsk.

"We insist on an unconditional cease-fire. This is especially crucial on the eve of Sept. 1. Today, the Ukrainian side comes forward with a proposal in all the four subgroups that all sides must cease fire before Sept. 1 as hostilities affect not only the military but also civilian population," Herashchenko said.

Read more: Trilateral contact group on Donbas started its session in Minsk, - spokesperson

According to her, there are 126 educational institutions near the contact line in the Luhansk region only. She recalled that the children could not attend schools because of the fighting in some regions last year.

"Of course, we need to think about the safety of children. We call for an uninterrupted cease-fire without any violations," the official said.
 
 
 
 up