He said this commenting on the events of Aug. 24 in the Mykolaiv region, Censor.NET reports citing the Interior Ministry press service.
The minister stressed that the Kryve Ozero police precinct will be disbanded and new people will be hired. The Mykolayiv region police leadership will also be reshuffled.
"A new regional police chief will be introduced today. Everyone involved in criminal and lawless activities will go on trial and no attempt at whitewashing will be made," Avakov stated.
He also noted that the circumstances around the death of the man will be jointly investigated by Prosecutor General's Office and National Police internal security experts in no time.
According to Avakov, the issue of possible distortion of information about the events of that night by some National Police employees is also being examined.
"If the suspicions are confirmed, sanctions will be uncompromising as well," the minister said.
As previously reported, National Police Head Khatia Dekanoidze arrived in Kryve Ozero to personally oversee the internal investigation into the legality of actions of the accused police officers.
Earlier, she said the order to disband the Kryve Ozero police precinct had already been signed.
Even earlier, resident of Kryve Ozero town Oleksandr Tsukerman was murdered by police officers during his detention Aug. 24. Next day, Prosecutor General of Ukraine Yurii Lutsenko announced three police officers were apprehended on suspicion of beating to death a man they had previously detained. Three more officers were later apprehended on charges of Tsukerman's murder. The court hearing on pre-trial restraints against the first three suspects is underway. At the moment, the police have revealed the names of all officers present during the murder in the Mykolaiv region.
Related materials: Murder in Kryve Ozero
National Police head: “Kryve Ozero police precinct to be disbanded. No one’s going to cover up perpetrators”(0)