At least 6,000 people have been arrested across Turkey over alleged ties to Friday's coup attempt, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said Sunday, Censor.NET reports citing Anadolu news agency.
"The legal process will continue," Bozdag said on state-run broadcaster TRT. "This will be the most extensive case ever seen in Turkey's history."
Commenting on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's call for the U.S. to extradite Fetullah Gulen, who is accused of a long-standing campaign to overthrow the government through supporters within the Turkish state, Bozdag noted that "protecting [Gulen] will weaken the U.S.'s position and damage its reputation. I presume the U.S. will not back someone who carried out these acts against Turkey."
Earlier, the Turkish army tried to seize control of the country to "defend democracy and the rights of citizens." Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to find and destroy those responsible for the "occupation."
Later, the Turkish intelligence service said that the coup attempt had been repelled.
At least 265 people are reported to have died as a result of the failed coup.
2839 people have been detained as alleged suspects.
Related materials: Coup in Turkey