Censor.NET reports referring to the report called "MH17. The open source investigation. Two years later."
Bellingcat notes that a satellite imagery analysis by Dr. Jeffrey Lewis using the Tungstène forensic imagery analysis software shows the Russian Defense Ministry imagery of the area are heavily modified, and it appears as if the Buk missile launchers features were digitally altered or added into the image.
This expert analysis, along with Bellingcat's own investigation, demonstrates that the satellite images provided by the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation on July 21, 2014 were an attempt to present false information about the crush of MH17.
Based on online open source investigation the Bellingcat Investigation Team believes the following events occurred:
- Between June 23-25, 2014 the 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade transported vehicles within Russia to positions close to the Russian border with Ukraine. This includes Buk 332, later sighted in Ukraine on July 17 and 18, 2014.
- On July 17, 2014 Buk 332 left Donetsk in the morning loaded onto a low-loader, travelling eastwards through separatist-held territory, until it reached the town of Snizhe in the early afternoon.
- After arriving in Snizhne, Buk 332 was unloaded and drove under its own power southward, out of the town.
- Buk 332 arrived at a field south of Snizhne and fired a missile that resulted in the destruction of Flight MH17.
- Buk 332 was next filmed travelling east through the separatist-controlled city of Luhansk on the morning of July 18, 2014.
- On July 21, 2014 the Russian Defense Ministry presented a series of false and fake information. This presentation included lies about the flight path of MH17, about radar data, about the location of the July 18, 2014 Luhansk video, and misdated and heavily edited satellite imagery.
- Almaz-Antey presented data that was not reflected by witness statements on the ground, or any open source information.
- The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs was only able to present plagiarized blog posts when asked to present their evidence on the fate of MH17.
No comment on the report has been given by the Russian Defense Ministry so far.
Related materials: Russian terrorists downed MH17
"Russian Buk is the only credible candidate": Bellingcat publishes summarizing report on MH17 crash. PHOTOS(0)
Poroshenko paid tribute to MH17 victims: "A daring crime that would not have happened, if not for Russia's aggression"(0)
"Person with call sign Khmuryi identified in many wiretapped terrorists’ conversations," – SBU spokesperson on MH17 probe(0)