EN|RU|UK
  6863

 SBU rejects UN official's allegations about tortures against captive terrorists

The Security Service of Ukraine has refuted the information about captivity of hundreds of those apprehended in the so-called "LPR" and "DPR".

SBU chief of staff Oleksandr Tkachuk told journalists after a meeting with Assistant Secretary General for Human Rights Ivan Šimonović, Censor.NET reports citing UNIAN.

"This is not true. As far as I know, about 40 persons have been remanded in custody in the framework of criminal proceedings conducted by SBU's Main Investigation Department.

"Overall, some 980 people are the subjects of investigations, with more than 330 of them already convicted. As for the rest, the materials have been either taken to court or used in pre-trial investigations," Tkachuk said.

Read more: The Times article on tortures in Ukraine contradicts facts and disproves itself, - Butusov

As previously reported, Šimonović said at today's briefing in Kyiv, held in the framework of presentation of the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission's 14th report on human rights situation in Ukraine, that hundreds of cases of torture had been registered in both occupied and government controlled territory.

On May 25, the delegation of the UN Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture accused Ukraine of denial of full access to places of detention. The delegation had no alternative but to interrupt its trip across Ukraine as it was denied access to certain places of detention subordinate to Ukraine's Security Service. On May 26, the Mission was denied access to SBU's detention facilities in Mariupol and Kramatorsk due to Russia's representative being part of the delegation.

Read more: 9,371 people killed, 21,523 wounded in Donbas since April 2014, - UN
 
 
 
 up