Viktor Trepak said on air of 112 Ukraine TV channel, Censor.NET reports.
"On Wednesday, I will be questioned as a witness by the NABU detectives in respect of the papers I have handed over to this agency on May 27. I cannot unveil the details of the questioning as I was warned about criminal liability for disclosure of the pre-trial investigation data. I do not know what documents have been submitted by the lawmaker (Serhii Leshchenko - Ed.) since I have not seen them," he said.
"When I obtained these papers, I obtained them as an ordinary citizen no longer occupying the post of the first deputy chairman (of the Security Service of Ukraine - Ed.). When I had analyzed them, examined them, I immediately handed them over to NABU, because the crimes that I identified there pertained to the competence of NABU. I decided to make public the information about the existence of such documents, and the fact of their handover to NABU. I published not the papers themselves, but the fact of their existence and description of their content. Why did I take this step? First, in my opinion, these documents contained important public information, which the citizens should necessarily be aware of. Secondly, disclosure of such information guaranteed that the papers would be treated in accordance with the applicable law. I'm well aware of the current state of the law enforcement system. Therefore, I couldn't have just left such documents at its mercy. The main goal was to ensure public control over their consideration," Trepak said.
He also refused to tell where the documents were over the past two years.
"I think this information will be disclosed to NABU," SBU former deputy head said, adding that he had already submitted a letter of resignation from the Security Service.
Trepak said that he had noticed shadowing.
"I received no threats, though I have already noticed one trend. I detected a tail on Tuesday. I realized that a so called "directed surveillance" was carried out against me and its aim was far cry from protecting me, since I had not requested protection. It seems to me that it was not NABU operatives but the ones belonging to other agencies," he said.
He also said that he was not acquainted with MP Serhii Leshchenko, who had disclosed part of the so-called "off-the-book payments" made by the Party of Regions.
"I'm not personally acquainted with Serhii Leshchenko. We have not met before and it is difficult for me to comment why it was him or me. I cannot say anything about it," Trepak said.
It should be reminded that Petro Poroshenko Bloc (PPB) MP Serhii Leshchenko and journalist Sevhil Musaieva-Borovyk had published records regarding the off-the book payments allegedly made by the Party of Regions in the second half of 2012. According to the disclosed papers, the Party of Regions spent $66 million on political corruption over the mentioned period.
Earlier, SBU ex-Deputy Head Viktor Trepak announced handover of documents proving off-the-book practices of the Party of Regions to the National Anti-Corruption Bureau. The agency confirmed obtainment of 841 documents regarding off-the book payments made by the Party of Regions in 2008-2012. According to NABU Director Artem Sytnyk, the agency started identifying persons exposed in Party of Regions' leaked records and taking measures to prevent them from leaving the country. He noted that the criminal proceedings into bribery would be initiated against the Party of Regions on grounds of the papers on slush funds.
Related materials: Party of Regions' off-the-book payments
Prosecutor general says funds confiscated from Yanukovych are kept on hundred accounts, vows budget will get them today(0)