Saakashvili told reporters in Kyiv on Friday that on the eve of anniversary of the May 2 tragedy in Odesa, pro-Russian forces are preparing provocations aimed at their revanche, Censor.NET reports citing Interfax-Ukraine.
"Therefore, after I addressed the president, he decided, contrary to some statements by the Interior Ministry, to send there National Guard fighters. He gave orders directly to Allerov [National Guard Commander Yurii Allerov - ed.] and National Police Chief Dekanoidze. They've sent first 300 people, and several hundred more. Overall, a total of 1,000 people will be mobilized to maintain public order. If necessary, there will be even more," Saakashvili said.
He also noted it was important that those who arrived in the city comply with the law. "We do not need excesses," he said.
"We know there is a preparation on the part of our enemies. The local SBU can not even find the people who shot at their building, not to mention other things. In recent months, it was occupied with absolutely different issues, and at least now, it has to change its way and take care of Ukraine's enemies," Saakashvili remarked.
As previously reported, on April 27, Head of the Odesa Regional State Administration Saakashvili said that Poroshenko had instructed the National Guard and the National Police to send up to 1,000 people to Odesa. Later on, Interior Ministry adviser Zorian Shkyriak stated there were enough forces and resources in Odesa to cope with any challenges without reinforcement.