EN|RU|UK
  19241

 Dutch investigation to name exact Buk missile launch site in MH17 case

The Dutch-led team charged with determining who was responsible for the downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine said it will determine soon the exact launch site of the missile that destroyed the plane with 298 passengers on board in July 2014.

This was announced by Fred Westerbeke, the prosecutor leading the international probe, Censor.NET reports citing Radio Liberty.

After meeting with the relatives of the victims, Westerbeke said the investigators had obtained all the information they needed from the United States.

Read more: Sending MH17-killer Buk to Ukraine was approved by Putin, - Bellingcat expert Romein

However, Westerbeke argued he did not know when the criminal investigation would be completed. But he pledged to finish the investigation "as quickly as possible, if only because of the frustration among the families."

A Dutch civil investigation previously concluded that the plane was downed by a Soviet-designed Buk surface-to-air missile. Last week, the open-research group Bellingcat said it had evidence that Russian soldiers and officers were involved in firing the missile or had knowledge of who did it.

As previously reported, a Malaysia Airlines passenger plane heading from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was shot down on July 17, 2014. All 298 people who were on board died.

Read more: Putin and Shoygu to blame for MH17 killing, - Bellingcat names those suspected of launching missile at Malaysian Boeing
 
 
 
 up