The law provides for legal basis of the Bureau's activities and operations.
As stipulated by the document, the authority, part of the executive power, is aimed at preventing, revealing, restraint, or solving of the following crimes:
- related to organized groups and criminal organizations;
- tortures and other crimes of cruel or humiliating treatment by law enforcement servicemen;
- grave crimes of violence which are punished by life sentence;
- committed by high-profile officials, judges, and prosecutors;
- committed by officials of the National Anti-corruption Bureau of Ukraine and prosecutors of the Special anti-corruption prosecution.