"I would like to confirm that being Deputy Prosecutor General last summer I actually headed the agency, which was in charge of the investigation into the Maidan crimes. And yes, indeed, an outstanding operation to detain 20 acting Berkut officers was prepared last year in early August. But all these Berkut soldiers left the territory of Ukraine on the same date under very strange circumstances just before the operation to detain them. And it had to be a large-scale operation outside Kyiv," Matios said Tuesday night on air of Hromadske.TV.
Asked a clarifying question whether this meant that they had been warned, the chief military prosecutor said: "The people cannot flee simultaneously. The people have definitely received instructions or have been warned."
Furthermore, Matios added that he was not aware who could have warned them. According to him, the details of the special operation were known to SBU task force, the technical crew, procedural heads and Heads of the Prosecutor General Office and Interior Ministry - Vitalii Yarema and Arsen Avakov. The Chief Military Prosecutor of Ukraine also added that he himself had been questioned by an investigator of the Prosecutor General's Office in this regard.