Syrian troops launched a massive offensive in the provinces of Hama and Idlib, Oct. 7, Associated Press reports citing an unnamed high-ranking representative of the country's leadership.
According to the agency, Syrian troops backed by Moscow's airpower embarked on their first major combined air-and-ground assault since Russia began its military campaign in the country last week.
According to a military source of the Syrian public-owned news agency SANA, the Russian Air Force, in cooperation with the Syrian Air Force, conducted strikes against ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra targets, leaving many terrorists dead.
The offensive involves the so-called "resistance force" supporting President Bashar al-Assad, Syrian Ambassador to Russia Riyad Haddad told RIA Novosti. According to him, Russia's air strikes dismayed terrorists.
Russia has been conducting air strikes on Syria since Sept. 30. Overall, more than 100 air strikes have been delivered during this period. On Wednesday, Russian warships in the Caspian Sea fired cruise missiles on Syrian territory.
The Kremlin stresses that "it will be a temporary support" of forces loyal to Assad, which is to be provided during the offensive of the Syrian army.
On Wednesday, Russia's Defense Ministry once again rejected accusations of striking not only the Islamic state, Interfax reports. "We hit only terrorists," ministry's spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov said.