He stated this during a commemoration of the victims in Canberra on Friday, commenting on a newly released video shot by militants at the site of the catastrophe immediately after the crash, Censor.NET reports citing Ukrainska Pravda and The Sydney Morning Herald. "It (video) highlights the fact that this was an atrocity, it was in no way an accident... This plane was deliberately shot down by Russian-backed rebels, we think, using Russian-supplied missiles," he said.
In her turn, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the video was "revolting" and "sickening" to watch. The video was obtained and released by an Australian TV channel, News Corp Australia. The channel also reported they made the footage available for the Dutch experts investigating the accident. The final investigation report of the Dutch experts is expected to be released in October. According to a preliminary version, the experts proved that the plane had been shot down by militants from the territory under their control with the help of the Russian Buk missile complex.