EN|RU|UK
 Incidents
  106425

 Russia demands release of captive special forces operatives, Putin's press secretary says

Spokesperson of the President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Peskov said that the Russian side is taking all necessary measures to release the captive Russian commandos detained May 17 by the Ukrainian soldiers as a result of the skirmish in the vicinity of Shchastia city in the Luhansk region.

Peskov said responding to a question regarding the videos that had appeared on the Internet, in which the Russians claimed that they were servicemen of the Russian Federation and had not left military service, Censor.NET reports citing RIA Novosti.

See more: SBU publishes names and photos of the Russian special forces operatives of the 3rd Brigade of the GRU, who fought in the Donbas. LIST+PHOTOS

"I have nothing more to add to what I have previously said. They are actually the Russian citizens, who are in captivity and, certainly, in this case the Russian side is taking the necessary measures for their liberation from captivity," Peskov said.

As reported earlier, the Russian special forces servicemen admitted in a conversation with the OSCE SMM observers that they had previously visited eastern Ukraine carrying out the tasks of the military command of the Russian Federation.

See more: Representatives of OSCE, Amnesty International and EU monitoring mission visit captive Russian special forces operatives in the hospital. PHOTO

Russian Defense Ministry spokesperson Igor Konashenkov said earlier that the agency expects the release of the Russian citizens detained in Ukraine noting that the captive Yerofeyev and Aleksandrov were "former" Russian servicemen.

Watch also: "Third brigade of special forces from Togliatti is deployed in Luhansk" - SBU posted video of interrogation of the two captured GRU officers. VIDEO with English subtitles

 
 
 
 up