Speaking at a briefing on Monday, the law enforcer also promised to elaborate on the Russia’s involvement in the attempt on journalist Arkady Babchenko soon, Censor.NET reports citing Interfax-Ukraine.
"As for those who requested protection, it would be inappropriate for me to tell the exact number of these people, but a significant proportion of those from the List of 47 are under round-the-clock protection," he said.
Asked about the progress of probe into assassination attempt on Babchenko, the SBU chief said: "Tremendous efforts are being taken in investigation of this case and I am convinced that we will be able to report a lot of interesting details in the near future. I understand that everyone expects that we confirm a Russian connection, so to speak. I promise you that this connection has already been found and we are going to tell you about it."
Russian writer and war correspondent Arkady Babchenko reportedly died of gunshot wounds to the back after he was attacked entering his apartment in Kyiv’s Dniprovskyi district on May 29.
On May 31, the Shevchenkivskyi district court of Kyiv imposed a 60-day pretrial detention without bail option against Borys Herman suspected of masterminding assassination attempt against Babchenko.
Investigators believe that Viacheslav Pivovarnik, a businessman who lives in Moscow, hired his longtime friend Borys Herman to put up a hit on Babchenko. In turn, Herman hired Tsymbaliuk, a volunteer and priest, to execute a murder. Tsymbaliuk reported to the SBU Security Service that he had been hired to kill the journalist. The SBU carried out a special operation - staged the murder of Babchenko, after which Herman was detained.
On June 1, Ukraine’s top prosecutor said that Babchenko’s staged assassination helped the investigation obtain a list of 47 individuals who could potentially be put a hit on by the Russian secret services.