"This investigation reached a milestone today. The Joint Investigation Team formally stated that the BUK, which was used to shoot down the passenger plane owned by the Malaysia Airlines on July 17, 2014, was not just produced in Russia, as it was stated earlier. When this self-propelled BUK system launched the missile that killed 298 people, it was in service with the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. Namely, it belonged to the 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade based in the city of Kursk," Censor.NET reports quoting Storozhuk as saying.
"That is, this weapon was not purchased by the separatists in a ‘military store’, neither was it purchased and delivered to the launch site in any other mythical way. Dutch Chief Prosecutor, Mr Westerbeke has made it clear that Malaysian Boeing was hit with missile launched by the Russian weapon delivered to the territory of Ukraine. This is not just a claim, this is evidence collected in accordance with all necessary procedural requirements, which will be submitted to the court," he said.
According to the deputy prosecutor general, there is another important conclusion: "I quote Mr Westerbeke: ‘It is doubtful whether JIT can rely on the data submitted by the Russian authorities regarding this issue.’ This means that the information about the weapons of the Russian Armed Forces used by the Russian authorities on the territory of Ukraine, which they formally refused to pass to the JIT in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 2166 but were actively pushing through the media outlets they control, is now formally called dubious. I think this sends a potent message to the news outlets which are going to continue citing Russia's statements on this issue and parroting statements of this kind."
Storozhuk also believes that now an end must be put to any manipulations regarding Ukraine’s possible involvement in this tragedy. "You should understand that there is much more evidence of guilt of the Russian authorities, but there is a certain way to carry out the investigation, hence a large number of this evidence will be passed to the court without being made public," the law enforcer said.
Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down over the Donetsk region on July 17, 2014. 298 people died in the crash. The passengers were citizens of 10 countries. The majority of victims (196) were Dutch nationals. On July 21, 2014, the Russian MoD presented a series of fabricated and misleading information about the flight path of MH17, radar data, etc.
Censor.NET has been reporting about the investigation of the crash investigation progress and published exclusive photos of the hangar and the submunitions of Russian missile Buk-M1-2, featured in the criminal investigation. Prosecutor's Offices of the Netherlands and Australia have prepared convincing evidence. It was established that submunitions that hit the Boeing exactly match those from the warhead of the latest Russian anti-aircraft missile Buk-M1-2. The system was developed in 1997, put into service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in 1998, and was never delivered to Ukraine. In addition, independent experts from Germany, England and Poland studied the fragments of the debris and concluded they were part of a Russian Buk missile. Modern chemical analysis has identified the composition of the metal and found parts of the glass and skin of the same downed Boeing that had been cut by these elements prior to hitting the people.
In November 2015, President Poroshenko visited the Netherlands and said that Ukraine was employing its membership in the U.N. Security Council for investigation of the MH17 tragedy.
In May 2016, Australian law firm LHD filed a lawsuit against Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin to the European Court for Human Rights on behalf of relatives of those killed in the Malaysian Boeing MH17. The lawsuit names Putin as accused defendant and demands $10 million for each killed passenger.