EN|RU|UK
 Incidents
  2

 Police restricts entry to Balakliia, no extraction announced so far

The police have restricted entry to Balakliia (the Kharkiv region) due to the fire that broke out at the former ammunition depot outside the city.

"We allow everyone to leave but do not let anyone in (except for the armored and special vehicles). Some exceptions are made for those who come to fetch their relatives," a spokesperson for Balakliia police precinct Viktoria Liuta told Interfax-Ukraine, Censor.NET reports.

However, no security evacuation has been announced in the city so far, according to her.

As reported, a fire broke out at the former 65th ammunition depot outside Balakliia at 1:35 p.m. on May 3. The fire was caused by the dry grass that was set ablaze as the unexploded ordnance scattered in last year's fire was being disposed of. Two armored fire-fighting vehicles and an obstacle-clearing vehicle were engaged in fire-fighting operation. The EOD experts involved in disposal of unexploded ordnance at the ammunition depot were evacuated.

On March 23, 2017, an emergency arose at the military ammunition depot of the Defense Ministry in Ukraine's eastern town of Balakliia. Several storage areas of rocket and cannon artillery ordnance (tank and artillery missiles of 125 mm and 152 mm caliber) caught fire, with massive explosions of ordnance following. More than 16,000 Balakliia residents were evacuated.

Chief Military Prosecutor Anatolii Matios said the emergency in Balakliia was an act of sabotage.

Later, a video of explosions at the ammunition depot was published online.

According to Defense Minister Poltorak, the incident in Balakliia caused no serious damage to the defense capacity of the country.

Источник: https://en.censor.net.ua/n3064366
 
 
 
 
 
 up