EN|RU|UK
 World
  10015
Related materials:

 OPCW experts gather information on possible chemical weapons use in Syrian Douma

Director-General of Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), Ambassador Ahmet Üzümcü, expressed his grave concern in response to the alleged chemical weapons attack on 7 April in Douma, Syria

As reported by Censor.NET citing the statement by the OPCW press service, the organisation's Situation Centre has been closely monitoring the incident and made a preliminary analysis of the reports of the alleged use of chemical weapons immediately after they were issued. The Fact Finding Mission (FFM) is in the process of gathering further information from all available sources to establish whether chemical weapons were used. The FFM will report its findings to States Parties to the Chemical Weapons Convention.

As noted by DW citing dpa news agency, the identification of countries or persons responsible for committing a chemical weapons attack is outside the purview of the experts.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Monday that Russian specialists had found no trace of a chemical attack on the Syrian rebel-held town of Douma, after the international community accused the Bashar Assad regime of targeting civilians with gas there.

"Our military specialists have visited this place… and they did not find any trace of chlorine or any other chemical substance used against civilians," he said.

He also said that a deadly strike on a Syrian airbase overnight, which Damascus and Moscow have blamed on Israel, was a "very dangerous development."

Syrian activist groups on Saturday said toxic gas inside barrel bombs dropped from helicopters over a rebel-held city in Syria killed dozens of civilians and wounded scores more. Syrian state news said an "official source" denied the allegations.

In the early hours of Monday morning, Syria State TV reported that "several missiles" had been fired at the T4 air base in Homs, in the country's west, adding that it was "likely an attack by the US." The Pentagon issued a statement Sunday denying it was conducting air strikes in the region.

Источник: https://en.censor.net.ua/n3060328
 
 
 
 
 
 up