EN|RU|UK
  3093

 Russia, not Ukraine responsible for escalation of aggression in Donbas, - Klimkin

Ukraine's Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin says Russia's allegations about Ukraine provoking the escalation in the Donbas are absurd.

Censor.NET reports quoting Klimkin's Twitter.

"Mr. Lavrov's claim that Ukraine is responsible for the recent escalation in fighting in the Donbas, and furthermore that the purpose behind this action is to draw attention to Ukraine, is both absurd and completely untrue.

"The truth is that Russia has invaded sovereign Ukrainian territory with thousands of regular troops and many more thousands of Russian financed mercenaries in addition to thousands of pieces of military hardware, finances terrorists in the Donbas and continues to commit war crimes by shelling residential areas and critical infrastructure.

Read more: Enemy uses Grads, tanks and tube artillery non-stop, 67 attacks registered yesterday, - ATO Staff

"The truth is that Russia has for over two years flagrantly violated the Minsk agreements that have been put in place to resolve the situation.

"The truth is that this is a cynical and inhuman attempt by Russia to further destabilize Ukraine and indeed the rest of Europe. This is also an attempt to move Ukraine and all of us away from the path of democracy and international law at a particularly difficult time in international affairs.

"But the truth as people across the world are increasingly coming to recognize is the quality for which the Kremlin has little if any regard.

"It is Russia and not Ukraine that is responsible for the most recent illegal and inhumane escalation of aggression in the Donbas," the foreign minister said.

Read more: Russian Foreign Ministry accuses Ukraine of escalation in Donbas: "Ukrainian authorities trying hard to solve conflict militarily"

Earlier, the Russian Foreign Ministry described the spike in hostilities and powerful attacks on Avdiivka as provocations orchestrated by the Ukrainian authorities and President Petro Poroshenko.

The fighting in the vicinity of Avdiivka has been underway since late Saturday, Jan. 28.

After three days, Ukrainian soldiers managed to take enemy positions and improved their tactical set-up in the area. Unfortunately, casualties were reported among the military.

On Jan. 30, enemy strikes left the government-controlled town of Avdiivka without electricity, water and heat.

In the evening of Jan. 30, a state of emergency was declared in Avdiivka.

As reported by the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) Staff press center, militants carry out not stop attacks on Ukrainian positions near the town.

A regional coordination center to aid local population has been set up.

According to the National Police, six civilians had been wounded and 26 houses damaged as of morning, Feb. 1. A female body of a civilian was found in Avdiivka downtown on Feb. 1.

The Donetsk regional civil-military administration said the sides had agreed to cease fire until 5 p.m. Feb. 1. At around 3:30 p.m., the enemy violated the agreement by opening fire on repair workers. The town remains de-energized so far.
 
 
 
 up