Censor.NET reports citing RFE/RL.
UN human rights chief Zeid bin Ra'ad Zeid al-Hussein said he was "appalled that the deal enabling the evacuation of many thousands of civilians, including the wounded and the sick, from the remaining opposition-held area of eastern Aleppo appears to have collapsed."
He also said the Syrian government "has a clear responsibility to ensure its people are safe, and is palpably failing to take this opportunity to do so."
On Tuesday evening, an agreement had been struck for rebel fighters and civilians to be safely evacuated from eastern Aleppo. But fierce fighting, air strikes, and artillery barrages shattered the purported cease-fire deal less than 12 hours later before any evacuation materialized.
The Russian Defense Ministry said that government forces resumed their assault after rebels broke the truce brokered by Turkey and Russia.
But in Ankara, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Syrian government forces of breaking the deal.
Erdogan's comments came after Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government and its allies of trying to intentionally scuttle the agreement.
Related materials: War in Syria